[Mailman-Users] Feature questions

Ted Cabeen secabeen at pobox.com
Wed Mar 22 17:03:13 CET 2000

In message <Pine.LNX.4.04.10003212034430.19494-100000 at archer.kd-dev.com>, Derek
 Simkowiak writes:
>	What he would like is an MLM that can do a union of subscribers
>based on the "To: " field of the email message.  So if he sends a message
>
>To: list1 at server.com, list2 at server.com, list3 at server.com
>
>	...and someone is subscribed to 2 or 3 of those lists, that
>someone will receive only ONE copy of the message.  After hearing this
>feature request, I think it's an awesome idea.  I'm subscribed to several
>Open Source mail lists where there are "users", "dev", "annouce", etc.
>lists and I routinely get multiple copies of email messages.

Duplicate elimination is really a problem that should be solved at the user
end, not at the server end.  A simple filter that discards any message whose
message id has already been seen can easily be written up in procmail, and is
one of the examples in the man page.  I don't know if windows mail clients
support this feature, but they should.

--
Ted Cabeen           http://www.pobox.com/~secabeen         secabeen at pobox.com
Check Website or finger for PGP Public Key        secabeen at midway.uchicago.edu