[Mailman-Users] Limit of users in a mailman list

Herman Knief hknief at auctionwatch.com
Thu Nov 9 18:35:49 CET 2000

Yes... I actually run a newsletter that has 240,000 subscribers.  Depending
on the machine you are running this on, there are some issues with LARGE
lists.  One seems to be that mailman *appears* to load the entire config DB
when you attempt to modify anything.  This means a VERY large python process
that tends to be rather slow.  I am using dual PIII 650MHz boxes and it was
quite painful.  What I would suggest is setting up an umbrella list, that
feeds several smaller lists.  It's not too hard to manage, and improves
performance dramatically.  I try to limit my mailman lists to 25,000
members.  It can handle about 40,000... but you begin to push the boundry of
useability.

 - Herman Knief