[Mailman-Users] Re: Reverting question

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Wed Nov 15 06:44:48 CET 2000

On Tue, 14 Nov 2000 21:22:49 -0800
Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui at plaidworks.com> wrote:

> At 11:42 PM -0500 11/14/00, Tanner Lovelace wrote:
>> There are arguments on both sides for this issue.  I personally
>> think it depends a lot on what the people on your list prefer.

> But you need to be wary of making the mistake of "who's making
> noise" being "what the people on the list prefer". Becaues I've
> found, if I survey my lists, that the ones making the noise
> *don't* represent the overall preferences of the list, but are
> instead a noisy minority.  Just because someone's complaining
> doesn't mean they're right....

I've found the same statistics.  That said, I've deliberately
decided to comply with the noisy moinority view for the worst of
reasons: I value the contributions of certain members of that
minority highly (they occupy useful/divergent views or represent
intellectually significant factions of the list topic), and, quite
simply, the majority do not disagree enough to act on it (leave the
list).  An ugly trade-off, but one that (seems to) work.

J C Lawrence                                 Home: claw at kanga.nu
---------(*)                               Other: coder at kanga.nu
http://www.kanga.nu/~claw/        Keys etc: finger claw at kanga.nu