[Mailman-Users] mailman webpages sloooow

Dan Mick Dan.Mick at west.sun.com
Mon Nov 27 08:40:34 CET 2000

Gregory Leblanc wrote:

> Hi!  I'm running mailman 2.0beta5 (no problems with it now, waiting for
> final to upgrade)

final is released.

> on a SPARCstation 2.  The machine has 64MB of ram, a
> decent 4GB SCSI disk, and a 40MHz processor.  For most operations, its on
> par with a high end 486.  This machine is running RH6.2 and Apache.  I've
> got a few static pages online, and loading these pages is very quick.
> However, when I hit the mailman pages, (mailman/listinfo especially) there's
> a huge delay before the page loads.  Any ideas on what I can do to improve
> page processing time on the server?  Thanks,
>         Greg

Well, as you probably know, most of those pages are dynamically generated,
so "anything to make Python run faster" is the right answer.  SS2/40MHz/64GB
is a pretty low-end machine these days.  More RAM will definitely help
any Unix machine, and particularly Solaris; if you can swing it, that's
the best answer.  But consider different hardware; that's way out of
date, and slooow.

I suppose focusing on making Python faster might be a thing to try.
Make sure it's compiled with optimization.