[Mailman-Users] newlist patch for beta 5

Derek Simkowiak dereks at kd-dev.com
Sun Oct 1 02:12:11 CEST 2000

     Hello,
	Newlist has a problem.

	When run in interactive mode, it will output the necessary entries
for the Sendmail 'aliases' file.  That is very nice.

	However, I am not usually in an X-Window session, so I can't use a
mouse to cut'n'paste those entries into my /etc/aliases.  It's very
annoying.

	The attached version will print all *informational* messages to
stderr, not stdout.  Only the 'aliases' entries are printed to
stdout.  So now, all I need to do is

./newlist >> /etc/aliases

	(or ./newlist > tempfile.txt ; cat tempfile >> /etc/aliases.  You
get the idea.)  I will still get prompted (if in interactive mode), but
the prompts will be printed to stderr, and all the aliases will go to
stdout (and hence redirect into my file).

	If I run in non-interactive mode, and put all the necessary
variables on the command line, then the only output (to stdout) is the
aliases.  All other behaviour is unchanged.

	This also makes it much easier to write automated shell scripts
and CGI programs to create new lists, because there's no messy sed to
parse out the informational messages.

	The attached file is the new version of newlist, created off
2.0beta5.  Feel free to create a diff of it if that is your preferred
format.

	Note that I presented this same patch for beta2 but it was never
incorporated, so I assume the maintainers aren't interested in this
feature.  In short: You have to grab this and keep updating it yourself if
you want to use it in future versions of MailMan.

Thanks,
Derek Simkowiak
dereks at kd-dev.com