Fw: [Mailman-Users] Re: The Password Feature.

Gary Wilson wilsong at sergievsky.cpmc.columbia.edu
Tue Oct 3 00:25:56 CEST 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: "Gary Wilson" <wilsong at sergievsky.cpmc.columbia.edu>
To: "Jeme A Brelin" <jeme at brelin.net>
Sent: Monday, October 02, 2000 6:24 PM
Subject: Re: [Mailman-Users] Re: The Password Feature.

> Well, this isn't commercial software and threatening to leave the
> user-base doesn't exactly carry any weight with the developers.  If you
> think you'd like to turn off passwords, turn them off.  Go into the code
> and kill the authentication routines and let anybody do anything to
> anyone's account.  Then see what happens when a listmember gets
> hostile.  And how many more admin requests you get from users to fix
> problems they could've otherwise fixed themselves (or were created by a
> lack of security on the admin pages).

I am not threatening. The developers may want to know why users are leaving.
They probably care.

Most open source software developers I've worked with like to get feedback.

Your comments are not helpful and they don't offer any solution.

There was a very elegent solution just suggested by Chuq, a solution that
would work for everyone.

Your comments indicate to me that at best your experience with mail lists is
limited. All the features you are talking about are available on other list
servers without the limiting password required by Mailman. Most use a
confirm/password option for changes that is sent to the mail address. This
is a much better solution and I have never heard anyone explain why Mailman
rejected the industry-standard for what to me is a quirky solution.

Gary