[Mailman-Users] gid

Ashley M. Kirchner ashley at pcraft.com
Fri Oct 6 01:23:41 CEST 2000

ron phelps wrote:

> hi all..
> trying to get mailman working
> it gives me the error
> ----------------
> Mailman CGI error!!!
>
> The expected gid of the Mailman CGI wrapper did not match the gid as set
> by the Web server.
>
> The most likely cause is that Mailman was configured and installed
> incorrectly. Please read the INSTALL instructions again, paying close
> attention to the
> --with-cgi-gid configure option. This entry is being stored in your
> syslog:
>
> Failure to exec script. WANTED gid 535, GOT gid 16.  (Reconfigure to
> take 16?)
> ----------------

    The error message tells you what you should do.  Read the INSTALL file.
Here's an excerpt:

      --with-cgi-gid=<group-or-groups>
            Specify an alternative group for running scripts via the
            CGI wrapper.  <group-or-groups> can be a list of one or
            more integer group ids or symbolic group names.  The first
            value in the list that resolves to an existing group is
            used.  By default, the value is the the list `www www-data
            nobody'.

            The proper value for this is dependent on your Web server
            configuration.  You must get this right, because the group
            id is compiled into the CGI wrapper program for added
            security, and no Mailman CGI scripts will run if this is
            incorrect.

            If you're using Apache, check the values for the `Group'
            option in your httpd.conf file.

    Translating the error message: Mailman tried running the scripts with
GID (group id) 535, where your webserver seems to be configured for GID 16.
So, reconfigure Mailman by supplying the GID flag on the configure line:
configure --with-cgi-gid=16  (or use the groupname).  Recompile and
reinstall.

    AMK4

--
W |
  |  I haven't lost my mind; it's backed up on tape somewhere.
  SysAdmin / Websmith                           .     800.441.3873 x130
  Photo Craft Laboratories, Inc.             .        eFax 248.671.0909
  http://www.pcraft.com                  .         3550 Arapahoe Ave #6
  .................. .  .  .     .               Boulder, CO 80303, USA