[Mailman-Users] Postponing delivery.

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Wed Sep 20 03:21:08 CEST 2000

On Tue, 19 Sep 2000 11:30:20 +0200
Zeljko Vrba <zvrba at iskon.hr> wrote:

> Anyway... conclusion is that mailman is good for ideal conditions:
> high speed networks with servers and DNS's always up and
> running...

This is a general assumption in nearly all internet software, and is
reasonable and correct.  Correctly, most systems *should* assume
good connectivity as the general rule, leaving specific systems
which are sensitive in this manner, to be approriately special-cased
and configured to suit.

> It seems that none of you has tried running Mailman to serve
> people on several broken or misconfigured networks which are down
> for several months etc..

The problems you discuss are problems with your MTA configuration,
and its resilience to the DNS problems you identify.  This is not a
problem with Mailman.  This is a problem with your MTA and its
handing of poorly extalbished systems.

To quote you (out of order):

  > There is an option to skip initial DNS query, but it had no
  > effect.

This is your MTA's problem, not Mailman's problem.  You state that
you configured your MTA to not do DNS lookups on receipts and found
that the configuration didn't work.  Either you misconfigured your
MTA or your MTA is broken.  Both are possible.  The point is however
that it is your MTA doing the DNS lookups, not Mailman.  Pointing
the finger of blame at Mailman in this case is just as effective
(and correct) as pointing the finger at my cat.

As previous responses to you have pointed out, correctly mind you,
fix and suitably configure your MTA.  That is the correct point of
attack and resolution.

J C Lawrence                                 Home: claw at kanga.nu
---------(*)                               Other: coder at kanga.nu
http://www.kanga.nu/~claw/        Keys etc: finger claw at kanga.nu