[Mailman-Users] ** Same person on several lists - eliminate duplicates?

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui at plaidworks.com
Tue Sep 26 00:13:18 CEST 2000

At 4:10 PM -0600 9/25/00, Gloria O'Rourke wrote:

>Our office manages four different listservs.  John Doe might be on
>all four of these lists.  When the same message needs to get out to
>all four of these lists, John Doe gets four of the same message
>(because he has subscribed to all four.)  This happens frequently
>with the groups we are working with.  Any suggestions?  Is there
>some way to eliminate the duplicates?

Basically, you can't. This is something that can only be fixed on the
client side.

think about it -- four pieces of email are being sent to four
addresses, which all happen to end up in the guy's mailbox. But once
they leave the sender's client, they're completely independent of
each other, being sent to independent addresses (that happen to all
go through the list server, but at different times). There's really
no way for a list server to carry state to deal with something like
this, and arguably, it shouldn't even fi it could.

the guy's mail client can do something about it, by recognizing
duplicate Message-IDs or some other way of tracking duplicate
messages, but it's in the hand of his client, not the sender or the
list server.

chuq
--
Chuq Von Rospach - Plaidworks Consulting (mailto:chuqui at plaidworks.com)
Apple Mail List Gnome (mailto:chuq at apple.com)

And they sit at the bar and put bread in my jar
and say 'Man, what are you doing here?'"