[Mailman-Users] can one trace an email note?

Len Hatfield lhat at wiz.cath.vt.edu
Tue Apr 10 21:42:08 CEST 2001

Hi,

I've a list with well over a hundred subscribers.  One or more
of these folks have set up an automatic forward from their
primary address (the one by which they are subscribed to my list)
to a secondary address.

That would all be fine and well, except that the secondary
address is either wrong or no longer extant, which naturally
causes the system to return a bounce notice telling me as much.

But because the user is NOT subscribed to my list via the
secondary address, and I have no way of knowing which of the 100
subscribers has set up the bogus forwarding, which of these is
the primary address in this little routing dilmma.

As a result of this, I'm stuck with the error traffic.

Is there any way to trace the path of an email note?  I've
examined the mail headers on the error traffic and bounced notes
very carefully, but they don't contain references to this broken
secondary address.

Any suggestions would be wondrous...

--
				...Len Hatfield