[Mailman-Users] Re: [Mailman-Developers] URGENT Please Help: Duplicates with 2.0 final

Chuq Von Rospach chuqui at plaidworks.com
Tue Apr 17 08:39:41 CEST 2001

On 4/16/01 5:01 PM, "Barry A. Warsaw" <barry at digicool.com> wrote:

> Another scenario is that you've cranked up your qrunner process
> limits, but not appropriatedly adjusted your qrunner lock lifetime.

Or you haven't changed any of the limits, but the time it takes to send a
single message exceeds the lock lifetime. If the lock is set for ten hours,
and it takes you 12 hours to deliver a really large e-newsletter, for
instance, you're hosed. The lock lifetime has to be longer than the longest
possible processing time of any single queue item. If you've got 30-40,000
or more subscribers, you could very easily be exceeding that lifetime.

> BTW, the default setting doesn't delete any bouncing emails from your
> list -- it just disables them (currently exactly the same as setting
> "no mail", but probably for 2.1 those will be distinguishable).

I'm finding this is confusing a number of my users, so I changed all my
lists to deletion. They knew the mail stopped coming, they knew enough to
look and found themselves still subscribed, and didn't know what to do.

I guess it depends on what list server background you have. If you're
familiar with listserv and it's relatives that have nomail, this makes
sense. If you're coming from majordomo or have no real mlist experience, I
think it's confusing. And I'm not sure if it really buys you much (and
when/how do you decide to clean out your subscriber lists?)