[Mailman-Users] Re: Umbrella lists and avoiding multiple copies (was Re: Anyone? ...)

Marc MERLIN marc_news at valinux.com
Fri Apr 20 00:27:52 CEST 2001

On Thu, Apr 19, 2001 at 05:09:41PM -0500, Pug Bainter wrote:
> Marc MERLIN (marc_news at valinux.com) said something that sounded like:
> > > I'm finding that Mailman has some hangups that make it undeseriable.
> > You have the source, choose which one you hate least :-)
>
> Well the issue here is that I don't think there is away around the
> duplicate email stuff from watching the mail logs.
>
> We'll see if I can overcome the following:
>
> 1) Password sync'ing (should be trivial)

A little code, but not too hard.

> 2) Archives via email (may be trivial, may not)

Some work

> 3) Duplicate emails (may not be possible)
>
> There are a lot of good things about Mailman, but #3 is a big hurdle
> that won't be tollerated. After all, not everyone uses a UNIX system to
> read mail. There are a large number of people in the world on AOL,
> Hotmail, Yahoo, and MSN.

Can't you  have the umbrella list  sync its list  of users from all  the sub
lists? (i.e. don't  subscribe sub lists to the umbrella  list, just have the
master list update its list of users from the other ones, as in:

~mailman/bin/list_members list1 > biglist.tmp
~mailman/bin/list_members list2 >> biglist.tmp
~mailman/bin/list_members list3 >> biglist.tmp
cat biglist.tmp | sort -u > biglist

~mailman/bin/sync_members -f biglist umbrellalist

(give or take a few tweaks)

Marc