[Mailman-Users] Re: Umbrella lists and avoiding multiple copies (was Re: Anyone? ...)

J C Lawrence claw at 2wire.com
Fri Apr 20 03:59:06 CEST 2001

On Thu, 19 Apr 2001 17:09:41 -0500
Pug Bainter <pug at pug.net> wrote:

> 1) Password sync'ing (should be trivial) 2) Archives via email
> (may be trivial, may not) 3) Duplicate emails (may not be
> possible)

> There are a lot of good things about Mailman, but #3 is a big
> hurdle that won't be tollerated. After all, not everyone uses a
> UNIX system to read mail. There are a large number of people in
> the world on AOL, Hotmail, Yahoo, and MSN.

Its also worth realising that mail dupes (from list trees and the
like) are not necessarily a problem to all members.  Some, like me,
specifically _WANT_ them and will be very upset if you start
enforcing dupe removal at the server.  I specifically want my
internal mail archives for each of the lists I subscribe to be
compleat.  That means that if a message is posted to N lists that I
subscribe to, I demand to receive N copies of it so that they may be
each be seperately and appropriately filed.

J C Lawrence                                       claw at kanga.nu