[Mailman-Users] Re: "could not acquire qrunner lock", etc (partially solved)

Mike Crowe mac at babel.fysh.org
Sat Apr 28 22:09:38 CEST 2001

Continuing the bad netiquette of replying to myself...

On Sat, Apr 28, 2001 at 12:25:53PM +0100, I wrote:
> I hope my understanding of this problem is correct and the above
> information is useful. I don't think I've got to the bottom of the CPU
> usage problem, but this was certainly part of it.

I've discovered the cause of the CPU usage problem. I had ARCHIVE_TO_MBOX
set to the default of 2. It appears that the archiver eats an awful lot of
processor power - so much that the backlog caused by the earlier bug was
taking ages to clear. The qrunner would sit in the second part of
ToArchive::process for around fifteen minutes whilst holding onto the list
lock which stopped the web interface from working.

Once I discovered that's where the problem was I set ARCHIVE_TO_MBOX to 1
and suddenly huge amounts of email that had been delayed for nearly a week
started flooding through.

So, in summary, a P133 with 96Mb of RAM is not up to running even a
relatively low volume list (50 messages per day) when ARCHIVE_TO_MBOX is
set to 2. :-)

Mike Crowe <mac at fysh.org>

More information about the Mailman-Users mailing list