[Mailman-Users] Virtual Domain: Failure to exec script... GOT gid 65535

Mike Bridge mike at bridgecanada.com
Fri Aug 10 23:51:56 CEST 2001

Ah, I think I see where it's getting set.  In the "vdeliver.cc" that
comes with linuxconf (http://www.solucorp.qc.ca) there are
a couple lines that say:

	setgid (65535);
	setuid (65535);

However, I tried setting these by hand to the uid and gid of
mail, but this doesn't work (it thought it was running as ROOT,
which is not a good thing :)

-Mike

On Fri, Aug 10, 2001 at 01:33:03PM -0700, Amanda wrote:
> Hi Mike...
>
> Who/what is holding GID 65535? That might tell something useful...
>
> =)
> Amanda
>

> Mike Bridge wrote:
>
> > Hi-
> >
> > I have a problem running mailman 2.0.6 on a Redhat Linux 7.0 machine.
> > I'm running sendmail 8.11.0 and linuxconf 1.24r5's version of
> > vdeliver.  I am using a "virtual" domain to receive the messages.
> > I have configured mailman to use mail's gid as per the instructions,
> > because this is what sendmail uses.
> >
> > I can subscribe myself to the mailing list and I receive the message
> > ok.  However, when I post to the list, I get:
> >
> >   Mailman mail-wrapper: Failure to exec script. WANTED gid 12, GOT gid 65535.  (Reconfigure to take 65535?)
> >
> > I don't want to reconfigure to use 65535 because that sounds insecure,
> > and it would break a mailing list using the non-virtual domain (which works
> > fine).  There is a closed bug report here, but it doesn't give any info
> > on how to solve it:
> >
> >   http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=103&atid=100103&aid=211347&func=detail
> >
> > Hers is my delivery agent configuration:
> >
> >   # Special mailer for virtual email domain hosting
> >   Mvirtual,       P=/usr/lib/linuxconf/lib/vdeliver, F=lsDFMShP, S=10, R=20/40,
> >                   A=vdeliver $u $h
> >
> > I understand the F=S is supposed to set the "effective gid" to the gid of
> > the parent sendmail process.
> >
> > I also see that there is another closed bug at
> >
> >   http://sourceforge.net/tracker/?group_id=103&atid=100103&func=detail&aid=214154
> >
> > which mentions the egid vs. gid problem....  I dunno exactly whether this
> > is what causes this.
> >
> > There are lots of posts from a year or so ago on the mailing lists
> > about this issue, but with no solutions.  Has anyone figured out
> > how to solve it?
> >
> > Thanks for any help!
> >
> > -Mike
> >
> > --