[Mailman-Users] Re: Mailman & MHonArc -- PLEASE help

Tim Freedom tim_freedom at hotmail.com
Mon Aug 13 19:24:21 CEST 2001

On Thu, 09 Aug 2001 12:38:56 -0700
I wrote:
>Here are the entries in our /usr/lib/mailman/Mailman/mm_cfg.py file
>(these are the only changes we made for mhonarc)
>
>ARCHIVE_TO_MBOX = 1

Unfortunately - no one replied (boooooo !!!), but I figured what
was wrong and it is most certainly is a BUG in Mailman (docs don't
match the code)

The documentation notes the following (from Defaults.py),

# ARCHIVE_TO_MBOX
#-1 - do not do any archiving
# 0 - do not archive to mbox, use builtin mailman html
#     archiving only
# 1 - archive to mbox to use an external archiving
#     mechanism only
# 2 - archive to both mbox and builtin mailman html
#     archiving - use this to make both external
#     archiving mechanism work and mailman's builtin
#     html archiving.  the flat mail file can be useful
#     for searching, external archivers, etc.

which is NOT true -- a setting of 1 (which is what I had) does
not do what's advertised (note Archiver.py line #190); plus
PUBLIC_EXTERNAL_ARCHIVER takes priority over PRIVATE when it
comes to archiving -- that question was also asked many times
on the list as well.

>BTW: looking at the Mailman user archives, this issue definitely
>      needs to added to the FAQ :-)

Still think it ought to be in the FAQ.  Please make appropriate
corrections in code (and/or docs).

And booooo !!! again :-)

Later..