[Mailman-Users] about ceiling on aceptable number of recipients ..

JC Dill mailman at vo.cnchost.com
Wed Aug 15 16:30:08 CEST 2001

On 03:42 PM 8/14/01, J C Lawrence wrote:
 >On Tue, 14 Aug 2001 15:36:24 -0500 (CDT)
 >albertmb2001  <iso-8859-1> wrote:
 >
 >> hi: About the : ceiling on aceptable number of recipients for a
 >> posting, what is a good configuration for this field?
 >
 >I use 3, as that safely covers most of the common cases of address
 >to list, cc to self, and leaves room for one other.

What about when a list is set to "reply to author" and people want replies
to go to the list and just select "reply all" and a long thread is
generated where every prior poster in the thread is cc'd?  In *this* post,
I selected "reply to all" and there are already 3 addresses (the author of
the message I'm replying to, the author of the prior message, and the list
address) and I haven't cc'd myself.

I've regularly seen posts to THIS list (and thus posts from supposedly
clueful people - mailing list administrators and so on) have more than 6
addresses in the To and CC headers.  Would you want such posts bounced to
the author rather than sent on to the list? Note, everyone who is sent the
post via being in the To and CC lines still gets their copy, it's just the
rest of the list who loses when email like that is bounced.

jc