[Mailman-Users] smrsh error

Lynn, Michael (DCS) MLynn at exchange.ml.com
Thu Dec 6 04:54:41 CET 2001

In /etc/mail/sendmail.mc you should have:
FEATURE(`smrsh',`/usr/sbin/smrsh')dnl  #(your smrsh may be installed in another dir)

This feature enables sendmail to use sendmail restricted shell.  Sendmail simply references the FEATURE value when attempting to execute programs in the aliases.

First, let's check where your smrsh is located ... using find or which.  it should be in the directory referenced above in the sendmail.mc file.  If it's not there then modify the FEATURE statement to
point to the location.

---snip
[root at phaedrus mail]# cd /
[root at phaedrus /]# find . -name smrsh -print
./etc/smrsh
./usr/sbin/smrsh
---snip

The first directory is the working directory... the second is the executable.  Like I said before - yours may be different so execute the find and see where they are for you.

When you have smrsh enabled in sendmail.mc - you should then link the wrapper to mailman thusly:

---snip

[root at phaedrus mail]# ln -s /home/mailman/mail/wrapper /etc/smrsh/wrapper
[root at phaedrus mail]# ls -l /etc/smrsh
total 0
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           26 Nov 30 13:11 wrapper -> /home/mailman/mail/wrapper
---snip

make sure you replace /home/mailman/mail/wrapper with the path to your actual wrapper.

This worked for me - I hope it works for you.  Regarding the fact that the INSTALL on debian has a problem - I cannot help you there - I am using RedHat.  It really should not matter however, once you
locate the two things you need - the smrsh working directory and the actual shell executable (smrsh) - then put the reference to the executable into the sendmail.mc.

Good Luck - Let me know how you make out.

Mike