[Mailman-Users] Big Lists

Tass tass at kenderhome.com
Tue Dec 18 14:06:26 CET 2001

On Mon, 17 Dec 2001, Dan Wilder wrote:

> On Mon, Dec 17, 2001 at 05:22:37PM -0800, Bill Moseley wrote:
> To get the number of SMTP processes up, change "default_process_limit"
> in main.cf.
>
> default_process_limit = 150

If you have 512M of Ram set it to 200, it will give you a lot of room.

> There's an active message queue which also became a sticky wicket
> for us.  Two limits which affect this, and the values I arrived
> at by experiment are:
>
> qmgr_message_active_limit = 40000
> qmgr_message_recipient_limit = 40000
>
> Default on both of these is 1000, as of the Postfix version I initially
> installed.  The comments in the config file say:

Unless newer versions have been fixed, there is a max of 10K or 50K,
depending on source version. I had to edit teh source and recompile to get
it up to the 75K+ range.

> disable_dns_lookups = yes

I have found this to be no real change.
On a PIII-500 with 512M I am getting 100K-120K/hr on a T1 connection with
avg message of 6.1K.

A good thing to do is to have

hash_queue_names = incoming, defer, deferred active bounce flush
hash_queue_depth = 2

the hashed structure gave us an increase of 20% in soeed.

If most of your email is going to a few domains that you know are good at
handling email you can also set

|Tass Chapman| tass at kenderhome.com   : PGP key @ pgpkeys.mit.edu:11371 |
| http://www.kenderhome.com          : KEYID: 0x5BC152A1               |
|ICQ UIN:394570                                                        |