[Mailman-Users] Mail headers with Mailman

Nigel Metheringham Nigel.Metheringham at InTechnology.co.uk
Thu Feb 15 16:51:46 CET 2001

elly at CS.Cornell.EDU said:
> The Mailman headers are very verbose, is there a way to set the config
> so it is less obnoxious for the users?  I am not using sendmail for
> anything else on this machine.  We are using Mailman 2.0.1 on RedHat
> 7.1.

The users should not be shown these headers by a sane MUA.  If your MUA
is forcing these headers on users then it is non-RFC compliant and
should be taken out and shot.  The headers are for message meta data
and should not in general be shown in raw form to the user unless they
ask for that data.

"Fixing" Mailman to not add the useful headers makes Mailman less
useful to those of us with capable mail systems and reduces the
pressure on those writing MUAs to do a decent job.  Also a number of
the headers added by Mailman are critical in the prevention of mail
loops - and if that happened you would be crying out for us to put the
headers back in again.

	Nigel.