[Mailman-Users] COMPLETELY Virtual mailing lists....

Scott Brown scott-brown at home.com
Tue Feb 20 23:36:11 CET 2001

Has anyone been able to completely virtualize the mailing lists under
mailman v2?

I'm not talking about the improvements made in v2....  I mean having
multiple domains be able to have the SAME list name.  Unless I've missed
something, right now they're limited to being unique per machine.  I know I
can do this now with foo_LISTA and bar_LISTA - but thats just cludgy when
the users want LISTA as the name...

My gut instinct is to have all the file access routines store their info
under a directory named after the virtual host.  I'm not sure how simply
this could be done as I've not looked tooo deeply into the guts of it, but
if the file references are all dealt with via common routines, it couldnt be
that hard could it?

so in ($prefix)/mailman/lists there would be

		foo.com/somelistname
		foo.com/LISTA
		bar.com/someotherlistname
		bar.com/LISTA

Obviously, the mail receiver post script would need to look at who the mail
was addressed to in order to be able to deal with the appropriate list....
probably some extra things in the webpage generation as well.

Is this a pipe dream??