[Mailman-Developers] Re: [Mailman-Users] OpenBSD Trusted Path Execution (TPE) compatibility?

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Tue Jul 10 20:43:33 CEST 2001

On Tue, Jul 10, 2001 at 10:55:41AM -0700, J C Lawrence wrote:
> > I install Mailman in /appl/mailman [where it belongs], right next
> > to all my other subsystem-level applications.  ;-)
>
> Next thing you know you'll be advocating /opt and other Sun-brain
> damage.

No; that's why I use /appl; I *hate* /opt.

>   ObRant: Isolated directory hierarchies for applications are
>   DOS/Windows-like and make managing filesystem allocation a pain.
>
> I prefer an FHS based install:
>
>   $PREFIX=/var/lib/mailman
>   templates go in /etc/mailman
>   logs go in /var/log/mailman
>   executables go in /usr/sbin (newlist, find_member, etc)
>   CGIs go under /usr/lib/cgi-bin
>   etc

That would be great, if Mailman were a) compiled and b) homogenous.
It's neither, so there has to be *some* place to put all the pieces.

> Makes things easily manageable and in-line with the rest of the
> system.  Happily the Debian Mailman package does this by default.
> Damned nice job there actually.  <waves>

/var/lib/mailman?  I'm not sure that's actually the proper place to put
such stuff; what are the assumptions for /var?

Cheers,
-- jra
Member of the Technical Staff     Baylink

   OS X: Because making Unix user-friendly was easier than debugging Windows