[Mailman-Users] set gid didn't work?

Amanda arandall at auntminnie.com
Wed Jun 6 20:14:32 CEST 2001

Amanda wrote:

> Everything I "fix" breaks something else so far. I'm engaging in enough
> growling lately that the editors are frightened of me...

Uy. No kidding.
Somebody please offer me some advice here...
Let me start from the beginning. [Again.]

I  have an HP Vectra XU archaic piece of junk running Mandrake 8 (kernel
2.4.3). It is running qmail 1.03 and Apache 1.3.20. Mail, telnet, and web
services are functioning as expected. I installed Mailman 2.0.5,
according to the documentation, made the proper qmail aliases, ran
crontab, added the CGI and alias stuff to httpd.conf, etc, etc.

When I initially installed the program, I ran it with-mail-gid=12 (mail).
Mail was going to the list admin, and I could access and modify the admin
page without issue. Later I discovered that the program wasn't passing
mail to the list, so I looked in the logs. I was getting this error
message:
    > Mailman mail-wrapper: Failure to exec script.
        WANTED gid 12, GOT gid 401.  (Reconfigure to take 401?)
    > qmail: 991698598.174168 delivery 5: deferral:
        Failure_to_exec_script._WANTED_gid_12,
        _GOT_gid_401.__(Reconfigure_to_take_401?)

Well, I thought that was a little weird, so I looked up gid 401, and it
doesn't exist. So I collected some additional information, and
reconfigured with mail gid set to 400 (qmail). It still wasn't working -
at this point the error message logged was:
    > Mailman mail-wrapper: Failure to exec script.
        WANTED gid 400, GOT gid 401.  (Reconfigure to take 401?)
    > qmail: 991698598.174168 delivery 5: deferral:
        Failure_to_exec_script._WANTED_gid_400,
        _GOT_gid_401.__(Reconfigure_to_take_401?)

So I attempted to reconfigure with gid 401. Then I got:
[ No existing group found for the mail_wrapper program. This is the group
that
your mail delivery agent runs under, and uses to run filter programs. You
might want to specify an existing group with the --with-mail-gid
configure option. Please see your mail agent's documentation, and the
install file for details. ]

So I attempted to nuke and pave. I ran make clean again, nuked the
/home/mailman directory, ran configure with the mail gid set to 400, ran
make install, exactly according to the reinstall instructions, did the
hokey-pokey, made sure the computer was facing east, paid a shaman to do
a dance to the mailing list gods...
...absolutely no change in the behaviour of the program:
    > Mailman mail-wrapper: Failure to exec script.
        WANTED gid 400, GOT gid 401.  (Reconfigure to take 401?)
    > qmail: 991698598.174168 delivery 5: deferral:
        Failure_to_exec_script._WANTED_gid_400,
        _GOT_gid_401.__(Reconfigure_to_take_401?)

What I want to know is if anybody can answer any of these questions for
me:

 - Where in the name of common sense is gid 401? When it says "GOT gid
401" where is it getting it? Who/what is passing a gid at that point?
 - Did I actually do enough to get a clean install of Mm, or are there
additional steps I can take to ensure that I'm really getting a clean
install?
 - Are there any suggestions for installing and configuring this thing in
a manner in which it might actually work?

We're now getting to the point where my head's going to be on a chopping
block if I cannot make it work. I'm more than slightly panicked about
that.

Thanks,
=)
Amanda