[Mailman-Users] Subscriptions

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Wed Jun 13 19:22:59 CEST 2001

On Wed, 13 Jun 2001 08:37:09 -0700
Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui at plaidworks.com> wrote:

> when I get one of these -- I do it.  If a user complains when they
> get the unsub note -- I simply refer them to their admin, since he
> told me to.

I have a short almost canned paragraph I roll out:

  Due to security and privacy considerations this is one of those
  things that is easier for you to do than me.  Just visit the list
  page, plug your subscription address in at the bottom, and there's
  an option on the next page to unsubscribe.  If you don't know your
  subscription address, please check the welcome message that was
  sent to you when you subscribed.  If you don't have that, the
  list will email your subscription address to you on the first of
  every month.

Once, I've had one guy come back and threaten to jut bounce
everything from my domain, and to thus deliberately try to setup
mail loops.

  He thought he had the faster connection.  He also thought he could
  make mail-loops onto my lists.  Neither were true.

Next day he figured out how to unsubscribe.

I run lists to offer a service in areas I'm interested in for some
reason.  I don't run lists to handhold or educate people who are not
interested in those same areas.

> It's his domain. I see no reason to second-guess him, or waste
> time arguing with him. If he's an idiot, better off he's idioting
> elsewhere.

I once got a forged request from an admin requesting such a
domain-wide unsub that was in fact written as a prank by a "friend"
of the real admin.  I dropped the domain.  The real admin wasn't
pleased (but understood).  I wasn't pleased and couldn't be bothered
to let myself be put in the same position again, or to spend the
effort checking individual requests to make sure they weren't
forged.  Not my job.  Not my interest.

Let them figure it out.

I understand that this works less well when under a corporate face
with market presence, branding, support and perception concerns.

J C Lawrence                                       claw at kanga.nu
The pressure to survive and rhetoric may make strange bedfellows