[Mailman-Users] Allowing users to join without specifying pas swords

alex wetmore alex at phred.org
Sun Jun 17 15:21:32 CEST 2001

On Sun, 17 Jun 2001, Chuq Von Rospach wrote:
> For this 55%, the SMTP=1 is 6050K. For 100, it's 1711K bytes. That's 28%
> of the first number, so we're cutting 72% of the bandwidth by chunking
> at 100. The tradeoff is performance, though -- it takes a lot longer to
> deliver those AOL addresses, because if you split it into two batches,
> you can't parallelize the delivery.

Please don't make this assumption.  It is true for the commonly used
Unix MTAs, but it is not true for all MTAs.  My MTA has no problems
with parallelizing delivery out of a single recieved message.

I agree that a smaller number would make sense for the default though,
as I'm probably the only one here who isn't using a Unix-based MTA to
do their deliveries.  As long as it is still configurable I am happy.

Your method for figuring out bandwidth usage is interesting, and I
think I'll do something similar for the recipient base and message
sizes on my system.  10k is much larger than my average message size,
but doing the same thing for digests (30k, and 65% of my readers are
in digest mode) would be interesting.  I'll report back to the list
with my results if anyone else is interested.

> I would set Mailman's 2.1 default to have this turned ON, giving us the
> customized unsub links and etc, but to document this for users so they
> know to turn it off on slow networks.

I would argue that it should default to OFF, as this is how Mailman
has behaved for a couple of years.  As long as I can easily turn it
off before completing the install (by changing mm_cfg.py for instance)
I am happy.

alex