[Mailman-Developers] Re: [Mailman-Users] Allowing users to join without specifying pas swords

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Sun Jun 17 18:32:33 CEST 2001

On Sun, 17 Jun 2001 08:29:50 -0700
Chuq Von Rospach <chuqui at plaidworks.com> wrote:

> On Sunday, June 17, 2001, at 06:21 AM, alex wetmore wrote:

>> I would argue that it should default to OFF

> I'm not surprised. It's Barry's call, but I think the customized
> URL is useful enough we want people to use it unless they have to
> turn it off, we don't want to have to try to convince the people
> who install stuff and leave everything defaulted to turn it on.

I spent some time on both sides of the fence as to which way to
default it.  I came out out on the ON side.

Reasons:

  There's a significant feature gain.

  Most of those new features help list members.

  All of them help the list owners.

  With VERP they also help the system over the longer term.

  Mailman becomes even more user friendly (by default).

The default to OFF case has the biggie:

  For most people, nothing will break and they'll have no surprises.

This is caveated by the fact that the only people that things will
break for are those that didn't read the README.

J C Lawrence                                       claw at kanga.nu
The pressure to survive and rhetoric may make strange bedfellows