[Mailman-Users] mail loops: list-request and vacation messages

Amanda arandall at auntminnie.com
Tue Jun 26 01:22:53 CEST 2001

Chuq Von Rospach wrote:

> Did the guy who set up the mailbot give mailman any way of telling this
> was a mailbot, or a loop? Did they include any keywords, like "out of
> the office" or "vacation" or "I am an idiot who's mailbot is going to
> make you crazy now"?
> [snip]
> If you can find something the mailbot did that (a) would allow mailman
> to recognize it as such, and (b) wouldn't cause false positives by
> blocking legitimate messages, let us know. We'll look at improving
> mailman to trap it. But the blatting mailbot is the problem -- it's
> ignoring ALL of the things Mailman's done all along to tell the mailbot
> to leave it alone and not bother telling us about the vacation; worse;
> that vacation bot isn't smart enough to know it's already told us -- it
> must think we're really stupid to have to tell us repeatedly....

The problem with this is (and boy, howdy, lemme tell ya)... there's always
one turkey who has to do something weird with his vacation message. I now
have a filter that reads something like this: "If this text appears in the
subject or body of the message, send it to the trash mailbox: out of the
office; out of office; out of town; out-of-town; away from the office; away
from my office; away from my desk, away from my email; away from my mail;
unavailable to respond to email; unavailable to email; unable to receive
email; away from the hospital; out of the country; on sabbatical; attending
a seminar; automated response; automatic response; automated responder;
automatic responder; autoresponse; auto-response; auto-reply; automatic
reply; unattended mailbox..."

Yesterday one stupid user blew another hole in my filtering: Her away
message read "away fromthe office". As we send daily messages, and she's
going to be away fromthe office for more than a month, I went ahead and
added her typoed message to my filtering.

Today another one did it to me - his message was "Land ho! We're on an
island-hopping pleasure cruise until mid-July. Don't wait on the pier for
us!"

Filter that. <shaking head>

Forty thousand users who are too clever for their own damned good. There are

moments that I hate every single one of them, individually and with
heartfelt passion. This afternoon happens to be one of those moments.

=)
Amanda