[Mailman-Users] Admin pages horribly slow...

Graham TerMarsch mailman at howlingfrog.com
Tue May 1 19:35:17 CEST 2001

Well, sorta managed to solve the problem that I was having with the stale
lockfiles.  General consensus on responses seemed to be "erase the stale
lockfiles", rather than helping provide any information on how to prevent
them in the first place.  SO, I ended up setting up a script to watch for
stale locks and remove them as soon as it finds any.

HOWEVER, I'm now running into another situation that I'm looking for
suggestions on.  With Mailman-2.0.1 and a 65k subscriber list, _all_ of
the administrative pages are horribly slow to load.  Even the initial
"subscribe" pages that people post to when adding themselves to the list
are slow.

I ended up having to crank up the webserver timeouts to 20 minutes to try
to avoid the dangling lockfile problem, and quite frequently I can sit
there waiting over a minute for one of the administrative pages to
generate.

Isn't a high traffic list, though; only gets at most one posting a day.

Any suggestions on how to fine-tune the lockfile timeouts or other
internal Mailman settings to try to increase the performance of the admin
scripts?

--
Graham TerMarsch