[Mailman-Users] Re: remove this?

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Wed May 9 01:27:12 CEST 2001

On Tue, 08 May 2001 14:12:52 -0500
Bill Warner <lww at ictech.net> wrote:

> At 12:01 PM 5/8/01 -0400, mailman-users-request at python.org wrote:
>> > How should I remove these (excessive headers) on each post?
>> makes my message long.
>>
>> You would be generally ill advised to remove any of them.

> Why?

The list headers are documented in RFC 2359 and are a generically
Good Idea.  The other headers you referenced with very rare
exception are required for correct mail system behaviour.

> IMO, the List-* headers are excessive and should, at the very
> least, be configurable.

This has been a point of contention on the list and elsewhere.  I
disagree.

> If I want my list message to carry this info I can already put it
> in the footers.

Which is arguably quite offensive as it clutters the body of the
message with repetitive noise rather than being safely and largely
invisibly tucked away in the headers (invisibly until
accessed/required)..

> Why should I force everyone to scroll past a page long list of
> headers?!

You don't.  Only those with broken mail clients do.  The correct
target at this point is to pursue the authors of such broken mail
clients until they either catch a clue or their users abandon their
products as unusable (wish that would happen to Outlook).

J C Lawrence                                       claw at kanga.nu
The pressure to survive and rhetoric may make strange bedfellows