[Mailman-Users] Re: remove this?

Barry A. Warsaw barry at digicool.com
Wed May 9 19:29:34 CEST 2001

Mike, thanks for the Eudora suggestions.  I'm going to create a
README.USERAGENT file that collects this wisdom, and I'm going to add
a FAQ entry pointing people to this file.  If anybody else has
suggestions on settings for other MUAs please send them along.

On the larger question of the List-* headers, there's no doubt that
the situation will not change for the 2.0.x maintenance branch.  If
you want to get rid of the headers, hack the source.

But, Mailman could do a better job of conforming to RFC 2369.  E.g. it
could suppress List-Post: for read-only lists, and it could get rid of
the obsolete List-Id: header.  I'll work on this for Mailman 2.1.

I still believe that Mailman is doing The Right Thing by supporting
RFC 2369.  When the MUA vendors catch up, end users will benefit.

That said, we may have to invoke the 9th Zen of Python: Practicality
beats Purity[1].  Whether that means adding for Mailman 2.1 a
list-specific configuration option (-1) or a site-wide configuration
variable (-0), I'm not sure.  I just wanted to say that while I still
agree with Chuq and JC that this RFC is important to support, I'm not
totally deaf to the cries of dismay from those of you who have to
expend real dollars to deal with users on non-conformant MUAs.

waffling-ly y'rs,
-Barry

[1] http://www.python.org/doc/Humor.html#zen