[Mailman-Users] Re: remove this?

"Jürgen A. Erhard" juergen.erhard at gmx.net
Thu May 10 04:08:52 CEST 2001

    Barry> But, Mailman could do a better job of conforming to RFC
    Barry> 2369.  E.g. it could suppress List-Post: for read-only
    Barry> lists, and it could get rid of the obsolete List-Id:
    Barry> header.  I'll work on this for Mailman 2.1.

Barry, please tell me you're *not* serious about getting rid of
List-Id!

This is the one universal list identifying header I've been waiting
for... for once you can filter on a std header (X- headers can never
be std), *before* you even know what headers a msg of a mailing list
you're just subscribing to will bear (so even the very first posting
of a newly-sub'd list goes into the proper folder).

Bye, J

PS: Wish I could remember the paper the List-Id header is described
in... was a draft extension to 2369.  Mention here or on -devel, I
think.

PPS: Filtering on the other List-* headers?  Well, judging by 2369,
there doesn't need to be any obvious relationship to the
list... List-Post, for example, can be a moderator, which can be any
address, even the same as for some totally different list.  List-Id is
the only necessarily list-specific header.  So, please leave that one
in.

--
Jürgen A. Erhard    juergen.erhard at gmx.net   phone: (GERMANY) 0721 27326
          My WebHome: http://members.tripod.com/Juergen_Erhard