[Mailman-Users] big lists, big messages

Satya satyap at satya.virtualave.net
Tue May 15 19:16:15 CEST 2001

On May 14, 2001 at 09:54, Rabinowitz, Ari (Exchange) wrote:

>Chuq,

PMJI.

>Thanks for all of your good ideas in this thread.  I'm new to Postfix, and
>Mailman.  How would I defer DNS in Postfix?  I have a few lists (read only)

If I understand you, put one or both of these in main.cf:

defer_transports=smtp
#disables smtp transport until you issue sendmail -q

disable_dns_lookups = yes
#I'm not sure, but apparently postfix doesn't check with DNS during
#SMTP dialogs.

>with about 1200 addresses that send out only a few messages a day, at most.
>I have MAX_RCPT_TO set to 500 so I would expect mailman to split the lists
>into 3 messages, although it ends up splitting into 4 messages, two with
>about 500 recipients each, and then two smaller lists instead of just one.
>
>I am using Postfix as the MTA and it seems to work well, but I notice from
>the logs that it seems that Postfix only gets one message at a time from
>Mailman.  Is this because of my Mailman settings or my Postfix settings?
>What controls this?

I see something that may be similar. Mailman is batching messages as I
want -- 5 or 10 at a time. Postfix sends to the upstream MTA one at a
time. Is this what you're seeing?

--
Satya. <URL:http://satya.virtualave.net/>
US-bound grad students! For pre-apps, see <URL:http://quickapps.cjb.net/>