[Mailman-Users] Mailman needs missing modules?

Barry A. Warsaw barry at digicool.com
Fri May 18 08:21:51 CEST 2001

    PS> I recently updated to Python-2.1 from Python-1.5.2, and am now
    PS> in the process of installing Mailman.  Mailman appears to
    PS> require two (so far) modules, time.py and math.py, that do not
    PS> appear to be present in the Python-2.1 installed distribution.

    PS> Have these modules been obsoleted and rolled into the main
    PS> body of Python itself?  If not, where can I get them?  If so,
    PS> what changes would I need to make to Mailman to make it work
    PS> with Python-2.1?

Mailman 2.0.5 should work just fine with Python 2.1 (that's my primary
development platform for Mailman 2.1alpha, btw).

Both the time and math modules are implemented as extensions (i.e. C
modules), and you can easily find out where Python is importing the
modules from by doing something like:

-------------------- snip snip --------------------
Python 2.1 (#1, Apr 17 2001, 23:30:09)
[GCC egcs-2.91.66 19990314/Linux (egcs-1.1.2 release)] on linux2
>>> import time
>>> time.__file__
'/usr/local/lib/python2.1/lib-dynload/time.so'
>>> import math
>>> math.__file__
'/usr/local/lib/python2.1/lib-dynload/math.so'

So you can see that they are both implemented as dynamic C libraries.

Although you don't say, I'm guessing that you're getting some kind of
error when time and math are being imported by Mailman.  If so, what
are those errors?  Can you import them via an interactive session, as
above?

>From the limited information you've given it sounds like your Python
installation is broken (and no, math and time aren't going away any
time soon! :)

-Barry