[Mailman-Users] Problem with editing subscription page html (w/ hack)

Matt Staroscik mstaroscik at home.com
Mon May 28 06:12:09 CEST 2001

The subscription results page seems to have some HTML tags hard-coded into
it. For example, I can't set the body color to #000000 by changing the
available HTML, because #ffffff is hard-coded into Mailman. I found one
question about this in the archives, but no solution.

So, I started poking around in the source code, and I learned how to get
around this. You need to edit mailman/Mailman/Cgi/subscribe.py. Line 241
contains the body color code for the HTML page that is generated for a
subscription request. (I was advised to delete subscribe.pyc too. Don't
know if that helps or not, but it does regenerate itself. Doesn't hurt
anyway. I don't know anything about Python, in case you can't tell...)

subscribe.py has a lot of other stuff in it relating to the generation of
subscription-related pages, but I didn't mess with that. The above hack
seems to take care of my needs.

Hope this helps someone,
Matt