[Mailman-Users] stripping out HTML

Eric S. Johansson esj at harvee.billerica.ma.us
Thu Nov 22 16:06:03 CET 2001

yes, I know this is a frequently asked question and I know it's mostly
sendmail related.

I want to strip out HTML/attachments from incoming mail messages.  I've
done some research and settled on using stripmime.pl until stripping out
mime stripping is incorporated into Mailman.  Unfortunately, I'm having
trouble getting it running with sendmail/smrsh.  I am running Mailman 2.0.5

I have doublecheck all the obvious things I can think of, such as:
soft link from /etc/smrsh to stripmime
rerun newaliases
checked ownership and permissions (root, root, 755)

here is what the alias looks like:

## test mailing list
## created: 28-Jun-2001 mailman
test:
"|/usr/local/bin/stripmime.pl|/home/mailman/mail/wrapper post test"
test-admin:
"|/usr/local/bin/stripmime.pl|/home/mailman/mail/wrapper mailowner test"
test-request:
"|/usr/local/bin/stripmime.pl|/home/mailman/mail/wrapper mailcmd test"
test-owner:              test-admin

What seems to be happening is that the smrsh is stripping off everything
prior to wrapper and is never seen the stripmime pipe.  Any
suggestions?  Is there a better option other than stripmime?

---eric