[Mailman-Users] installation problem

Ben Burnett benwa at ocentrix.com
Wed Oct 10 04:53:03 CEST 2001

On Tuesday 09 October 2001 07:10 pm, Chris G Haravata wrote:
> good day, everyone!
>
> i am a mailman newbie

Welcome!

> , and i've searched through the archives but only seen
> one occurance of my problem, but didn't really solve it.  here goes.

This is arguably the most FAQ on this software.  Please search the archives
again using the terms "wanted got reconfigure" and you'll see plenty of
solutions.

check:
http://www.list.org/faq.html
http://www.list.org/install-config.html
for more info.

> whenever i send a post to test, i get the following errors:
>
> <test-request at cerveza.apc.edu.ph>: Command died with status 2:
>     "/home/mailman/mail/wrapper mailcmd test". Command output: Failure to
> exec
>     script. WANTED gid 12, GOT gid 65534.  (Reconfigure to take 65534?)
>
> i configure mailman using the following
>
> # ./configure --with-cgi-gid=mail --with-gid=12
>
> with gid 12 = mail

Off the top of my head it appears as though you are calling configure with
the wrong parameters.

First of all, I don't believe that --with-gid is an option.
So sayeth "grep -e '--with-gid' configure"

Secondly, It's asking you to reconfigure it --with-mail-gid=65534.  You
aren't specifying "--with-mail-gid" at all.  If this option is not specified
configure is supposed to pick whichever is specified first of the following
gid's: "other, mail, daemon"  do any of these match gid 65534 on your system?
 It looks as though Postfix thinks one of them does.

Ternary, Once you get this fixed you'll probably have problems accessing the
web interfaces because you've specified "--with-cgi-gid=mail".  This is
basically telling configure that your web server runs as gid mail.  Unless
you've made some changes it shouldn't be.  By default configure is supposed
to look for www, www-data, or nobody as the gid to run the web scripts as,
choosing whichever it finds first.  Make sure that your installation of
Apache is using one of these group names or specify the correct one.  I had
to use "--with-cgi-gid=apache" to get mine to work.

Good Luck,

- Ben