[Mailman-Users] umbrella_list?

Shane Beasley sbeasley at cs.uic.edu
Wed Oct 17 08:13:08 CEST 2001

On Wed, 17 Oct 2001, Jon Carnes wrote:

> To stop folks from receiving multiple copies, you will have to make your
> own mega-list by using a script and building the mega-list from each of the
> sub lists.

Not to be outdone, I came up with a one-liner that will add all
subscribers of foo_* to the umbrella list foo_all:

 list_lists | awk '{ print $1 }' | grep -i ^foo_ | grep -iv foo_all | \
 xargs -rl list_members | sync_members -f - -w=no foo_all

One may involve files at any point during the transaction, of course
(e.g., after the xargs and before the sync_members, perhaps involving
sort and uniq as you did in your code).

No matter how you write it, though, this seems like a bit of a kludge,
insofar as the list admin has to maintain redundant data with cron jobs
and so forth. I still think it would be a nice feature to be able to have
Mailman do the work for me, not so much because I don't want to do the
work, but because it can probably do it better than I. :)

At any rate, thanks for the suggestion!

- Shane