[Mailman-Users] Old Question, New Twist

Paul Cox paul at coxcentral.com
Fri Oct 26 20:27:57 CEST 2001

I'm that one that's done the last couple of Mandrake .rpm's for
Mandrake.  Let me help you out.

On Thursday, Oct 25, 2001, David Pierron wrote:

> My first initial problem was with smrsh but overcame that with a symbolic
> link ...

First question, is smrsh a sendmail thing?  What is it exactly?

> My problem is the age old:
> Failure to exec script. WANTED gid 99, GOT gid 12. (Reconfigure to take 12?)
> 554 5.3.0 unknown mailer error 2

The reason for this is easy.  Since Mandrake installs the Postfix MTA by
default (you have to go out of your way to use sendmail instead), that's
how the .rpm configures Mailman during the build.  Postfix delivers mail
as gid nobody (99), while sendmail delivers mail as gid 12 (mail).
Unfortnately, you can't build an .rpm for both ways.  Since Postfix is
the default (and recommended) MTA, that's the one I went with.

Now, even though Mailman is in the 'contribs' portion of Mandrake (read:
not supported), there is one possible solution to this.  I could make 2
seperate packages, say a mailman-postfix and a mailman-sendmail, and
make them conflict with each other so someone could only have 1
installed.  Then people could install the one that right for them.
How's that sound?

Of course, you could just rebuild from source on your own, but I find
.rpm's MUCH more convenient (IMHO).  Could you wait a bit so that I can
make a mailman-sendmail .rpm so you could test it?  I'd appreciate it.
Hope I clarified a few things here.

--
Paul Cox <paul at coxcentral dot com>
Kernel: 2.4.8-30.1mdk  -  Uptime: 16 hours 12 minutes.