[Mailman-Users] Why I want read-only lists

Bill Eldridge bill at rfa.org
Sun Apr 7 17:43:49 CEST 2002

FYI.

Somewhere someone notes, "I don't understand why
someone would want read-only access to a list - why
not open it to everyone"?

A good example is a newsfeed - while some of my
users are authorized to receive AP or Reuters newsfeeds,
none are authorized to post to it. If I have a newsfeed
internal to my organization, some superusers will be
authorized to post to it [APPROVED 100% RFA NEWS STORY],
while most will not.

Having this feature, I can replace pretty expensive
queued news systems with just Mailman.
Bill Eldridge
Radio Free Asia
bill at rfa.org