[Mailman-Users] Re: Removing those extra List-* headers

John W Baxter jwblist at olympus.net
Tue Apr 9 21:16:12 CEST 2002

At 20:51 -0700 4/8/2002, Chuq Von Rospach wrote:
>On 4/8/02 6:19 PM, "John W Baxter" <jwblist at olympus.net> wrote:
>

>> One can't, if one uses the Mailman installation managed as a service by
>> someone else.  Suitable bribes to that person might help, though.  I think
>> I remember the OP saying that he was in the using-a-service camp.
>
>Of course, maybe, just maybe, the people who spend their time designing,
>building, maintaining and operating mailman and mailman-using systems know
>something about this topic that people like OP don't.

Indeed.  But I didn't say anything about removing the headers being a good
thing, nor advise how to do it.

>Nah. He's right. Let's nuke the headers.

Actually, I want to keep the headers (and I elected to read a virtual
sarcasm smiley above).  But now and then I do read a list with a Windows
Eudora which is not set to suppress them, and I see the counter argument.
(I suppress them in the Mac Eudora I usually use.)

But I think that advice to comment out a line of code should be qualified
by "if you have access to the Mailman installation and want to [do xx] ..."
or something like that.  Whether xx is nuking the List-* headers or
anything else that requires a code change.  Because of the archives, I
think that's true even if it is known that the immediate recipient of the
advice indeed has the needed access to make the change (alternate form:
Because you have access to the Mailman installation, you can [xx]).

  --John

--
John Baxter   jwblist at olympus.net      Port Ludlow, WA, USA