[Mailman-Users] looping mails

Francis Jayakanth franc at ncsi.iisc.ernet.in
Tue Apr 23 10:07:54 CEST 2002

Dear Member:

We are using mailman for about two years now. We are constantly upgrading
the mailman software as and when the updates are available. We are now
using mailman 2.09 on Redhat Linux 6.0 with sendmail.

Very often we encounter this problem of some posting, which gets into an
infinite loop. The same message will go on repeating indefinitely. We'll
then have to stop sendmail. Get into the qfiles dir. of mailman. Delete
all the qfiles and also delete the lock file from the the locks dir. If we
don't release the lock, the mails again start getting into the qfiles
area.

My question is this. Why does mailman behave in this manner all of
sudden. And how do i overcome this problem. Has anybody else encountered
this problem. Once it so happened that just before leaving office I
approved couple of messages and then left for the day. The following
morning to my horror there were 400 odd messages to each of the
subscriber!

Any leads to this problem will be greatly appreciated.

bye,

 - Francis

NCSI, IISc.,
Bangalore, India