[Mailman-Users] newuser needs help

Jim Bauer jbauer at nenshi.net
Fri Apr 26 16:05:51 CEST 2002

Hi,
I am attempting to run mailman a RH 7.2 box with apache and sendmail.

The install went fine.

The problem I have is the apache config portion of the instructions.

Note that I had to install apache to install mailman.  I haven't used
apache up to this point.

The install is from i386 rpm downloaded from the Red Hat site.

The instructions from that install say:

When the mailman package has finished installing, you will need to:
* run /var/mailman/bin/mmsitepass
 to create the mailman administrator password
* edit /var/mailman/Mailman/mm_cfg.py
 to customize mailman's configuration for your site
* add these lines:
 ScriptAlias /mailman/ /var/mailman/cgi-bin/
 Alias /pipermail/ /var/mailman/archives/public/
 Options +FollowSymlinks
 to /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf to configure your web server.

At this point, apache will come up.
With the basic intall default.  The mailman interface on the http server
does not.  I believe that I've done the httpd.conf changes incorrectly.

I found the Alias area in the above file.  I added the Alias line there.

I found ScriptAlias area also and added the above line there also.

I found a line with
Options FollowSymlinks
and changed it to
Options +followSymlinks

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks,
--
jrb

"The only well-adjusted people in this world...are dead."