[Mailman-Users] Still want it faster :-)

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Sat Apr 27 04:50:59 CEST 2002

On Fri, 26 Apr 2002 19:31:57 -0700
J C Lawrence <J> wrote:

> Note: I run several multi-thousand subscriber lists and I have no lock
> contention.

Minor stats:

  On a not very chunky system (PII-333) running a fairly untuned postfix
  can reliably sustain 1400 remote deliveries per minute (its actually a
  pretty stock Debian/testing install). The same system, which has a
  reasonable but not great IO chain (F/W SCSI III, single partition for
  /var which also holds /var/logs), can reliably spool (for remote
  delivery) in excess of 8,000 messages per minute (ie discrete SMTP
  transactions, not just RCPT TO's).  I don't know if it can do more or
  what the actual top value is as I've not tried to find it and I've not
  had enough traffic to sustain loads at that level long enough.

  Note: Qrunner in 2.0 won't sustain that rate of spool entries as it is
  single threaded.  I've created and sustained that level in previous
  tests running local custom qrunner variants against a hashed/split
  qfiles directory and thus plexing Postfix that way.

You've talked previously of lists with low double digit numbers of
subscribers, and of having what you insist are qrunner performance
problems at that level.

Again, qrunner is not your problem.  An i486-33 with a bad IDE IO chain
can easily, trivially, reliably sustain 20+ SMTP transactions (spool or
remote delivery) per minute (I've done this).

--
J C Lawrence