[Mailman-Users] How to properly backup mailman

Ashley M. Kirchner ashley at pcraft.com
Fri Feb 1 00:31:07 CET 2002

Ferdinand Mangio wrote:

> Thanks for creating such an outstanding software.
> My question is how to properly backup Mailman on Linux 6.2 using tar
> command, because I'm having difficulty on this.

  Personally, I backup the following on my list server:

  /home/mailman
  /usr/local/apache (mailman config is in there)
  /var/spool/cron/mailman (single file)

  And I do all of that in one fell swoop:

  tar cfI - /home/mailman /usr/local/apache /var/spool/cron/mailman > \
    /backup/mailman.`/bin/date +\%Y\%m\%d`.tar.bz2

  This creates 'mailman.20020130.tar.bz2'
  Since my backup runs every night, I get nice daily backups, with dates
in them.

--
W | I haven't lost my mind; it's backed up on tape somewhere.