[Mailman-Users] byte-compiling mm_cfg.py?

John W Baxter jwblist at olympus.net
Wed Feb 27 00:30:28 CET 2002

At 14:50 -0600 2/26/2002, Charles Sebold wrote:
>Should mm_cfg.py be byte-compiled?
>
>I would think not, unless one were prepared to recompile it every time
>mm_cfg.py is changed.  Is that correct?

Let Python do its thing.  When a module is imported (which is what
mm_cfg.py is and what happens to it in Mailman), and Python finds a .pyc
file with a modified date older than that of the .py file, the .pyc is
remade.

It's not supposed to be possible to import a stale .pyc file.  BUT...I
suspect that with a little help from the touch command, one could confuse
things.  (Modify the .py file, then set its modified date back using touch.
Don't do this for mission critical code.)

  --John

--
John Baxter   jwblist at olympus.net      Port Ludlow, WA, USA