[Mailman-Users] Hardware Requirements

Tim Crouch tcrouch at du.edu
Wed Jul 10 21:12:27 CEST 2002

I am looking for suggestions on a hardware purchase.  I am setting up a
new mailing list server for our University. It will host up to 500 lists
ranging from 2 subscribers to 3000 with an average of under 200.  We
will archive no more than 1 year's worth of messages.  Obviously disk
size will be number one on the priority, but I am looking for what you
would run this on.  OS will be RH Linux 7.3 the hardware will be from
Dell.  I am leaning towards the following:

Dell PowerEdge 350 1u rack server
850MHz Celeron, 128KB L2
512 MB SDRAM
20 Gig IDE boot drive
120 GIG IDE data (for archiving, data, & web)
RH Linux 7.3

This machine needs to have a lifetime of at least 3 years....

How does this sound to the group?

Thanks in advance,
Tim Crouch
University of Denver