[Mailman-Users] "Members" vs. "Subscribers"

Kyle Rhorer rhorer at swbell.net
Tue Jul 16 19:07:22 CEST 2002

On Tuesday 16 July 2002 11:09, Bob Weissman wrote:
> This is a linguistic subtlety in the English version of Mailman.
[...]
> In my own Mailman 2.0.11 installation, I've scoured the sources for
> user-visible strings and changed "member" to "subscriber" everywhere
> I thought it was important. I would like to suggest this become an
> official terminology change for future versions of Mailman.

I'd like to reinforce the point.  When posts to my lists from
dues-paying members are rejected because they are from "non-members" it
raises some hackles.  The distinction between a member of the
organization and a subscriber to one of the organization's lists needs
to be clear.  I'm also eagerly awaiting the capability mentioned in a
non-subscribers to a subscribers-only list instead of requiring the
list administrator to reject them.

Kyle