[Mailman-Users] My lists stopped working

Silviu Marin-Caea silviu at genesys.ro
Tue Jul 16 17:44:45 CEST 2002

I had mailman in SuSE 8 configured and running fine, until this morning,
when it stopped working.

In mail logs, all appeared to be in order

Jul 15 18:47:01 mail postfix/local[4901]: B4261284115:
to=<admin-request at genesys.ro>, relay=local, delay=0, status=sent
("|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/wrapper mailcmd admin")

Jul 15 18:51:03 mail postfix/local[4982]: 7DF3028411A:
to=<offers at genesys.ro>, relay=local, delay=1, status=sent
("|/usr/lib/mailman/mail/wrapper post offers")

Cron jobs were in place

mail:~ # /etc/rc.d/cron status
Checking for Cron:                                                   running
mail:~ # /etc/rc.d/mailman status
Checking for service mailman:                                        running

Yet, no mail got distributted by the list manager.  It didn't go to the
list archives either.  They all sat in /var/lib/mailman/qfiles

In /var/lib/mailman/logs/qrunner, there was this for each new posting.

Jul 15 19:18:00 2002 (5847) Could not acquire qrunner lock

I figured it out, eventually:

The lists received a shitload of viruses from someone, and there was a
stale lock in /var/lib/mailman/locks

I don't know if the process was dead or hung, because I have just
removed the locks, to get the lists back in working order, quickly (they
are important).

The virus that was received was Frethem (the one with "Your
Password"--it has an attached .exe).  I have RAV antivirus, but it scans
mails after the list delivers it through sendmail.

It goes like this: mail goes to mailman "wrapper", then the wrapper
sends it by "sendmail", it gets scanned and sent forward if it's ok.  I
use postfix as MTA.

mail:/var/log # rpm -q mailman
mailman-2.0.8-125

In case this happens again, what information do you need me to provide,
so you can fix it?

Thanks

--
Silviu Marin-Caea   Systems Engineer Linux/Unix   http://www.genesys.ro