[Mailman-Users] strip out and archive attachments?

Arif Mamdani arif at welfarelaw.org
Tue Jul 23 21:38:57 CEST 2002

Hey folks, I've got a problem that I can't quite seem to work out.

On the lists that we're hosting (RH 7.2 w/Postfix as the MTA), we've
been seeing an increasing number of attachments, and we'd like to start
stripping all attachments -- especially the ones that are most likely
virii :)

But -- and here's where the problem I'm having lies -- we'd like to be
able to archive the attachments so that they're still accessible, but
each user has the option of going to the list archive to download them,
instead of having it forced on them.

Stripping out the attachments looks relatively straightforward from what
I've read, but archiving the stripped out attachments if really making
me bang my head against the wall.  If I were willing to switch to
Sendmail as our MTA, I could use MIMEDefang, but I can't see anywhere
near a good reason to give up Postfix for Sendmail, so that's out of the
question.  I've looked at external archivers, but the issue, from what I
can tell doesn't so much seem to be the archiving as much as it is the
stripping out of the attachments and passing that attachment to the
archiver.

I'm hoping that someone on list might be able to point in the right
direction toward getting this worked out.

thanks
-arif
Arif Mamdani				arif at welfarelaw.org
Circuit Rider				ph: 651.433.0260
LINC Project -- Welfare Law Center	 c: 917.655.2579
www.lincproject.org www.welfarelaw.org