[Mailman-Users] Annouce-only list

Devin devin2 at theinternet.info
Wed Jun 19 08:24:54 CEST 2002

Doug Bishop wrote:
> Can anyone provide insight as to whether this can be done in Mailman,
> and if so, how to accomplish it?
>
> Doug Bishop

yes, i am using mailman for a newsletter-type list. under privacy
options in the mailman admin select 'No' for 'Restrict posting privilege
to list members?' Then add the admin address that posts are allowed from
to the next option, 'Addresses of members accepted for posting...' This
address doesn't actually have to be a member address (my post address is
not subscribed to my list and it still works).

thats it, but i would also recommend adding an auto-response to list
postsers (in admin 'Auto-Response' section) that says something nice
like "i'm sorry but members are not allowed to post to this list."

read through the rest of the mailman options to see if any of them might
also make your list more newsletter-like. for example, i set (in
'Privacy Options' again) 'Advertise this list...' to 'No' and 'Who can
view subscription list' to 'List admin only.'

let me know if i haven't been clear enough on this information. good luck.

--
devin
devin2 at theinternet.info